12 February 2012

Down the Garden Path

Pirates Courtyard, Charleston, S.C.
I've passed this alleyway on Church St. time after time but always assumed it was private property and never actually entered through the gate. Apparently there is a courtyard at the back of what is called the Pirate's House. This travel photography website has more information: History Trekker.

Holy cold toes, kids! It is chilly out there. It has been a lovely day but walking out this evening in the wind is wicked cold. I hope all of our budding blossoms make it through the night. I have my electric blanket heating up.

I went to the symphony tonight and was so pleased to find a packed house. We were all there to hear Yuriy Bekker play the million dollar Stradivarius violin and play it he did. What a great treat! More info in the Post & Courier story.

12 comments:

Chirrup18 said...

Joan, it is private property, owned by the Williams family (possibly no longer, but I'm not sure), but the courtyard had always been open to the public. I only recently noticed the newer sign and wondered if it had changed hands. Ian Williams and I were in a couple of shows together in the 90s, but I've lost track of him.

Lowandslow said...

Reminds me of Pirates Alley in the New Orleans French Quarter. I love these little out-of-the-way places. Stay warm. :)

S

Kate said...

Thanks for the links, and I read both of them (so different in content!) with great interest. I think I'll stop at the Pirate's House when we're there in April; perhaps Johnny Depp will be lurking around then!

Rick said...

Did the Stradivarius produce a better tone?

Donna Gill Colestock said...

Will go check it out! I just saw a postcard of that. Hmmmm

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks for the info and happy for the link back to your family history blog. What a good idea.

Charlestonjoan said...

It is chilly! We have been so spoiled this year.

Charlestonjoan said...

Actually there has been a Johnny Depp look-a-like popping up around town. That would be fun!

Charlestonjoan said...

Rick - to someone who can't read music I am always in awe of these musicians. I could listen to him play that violin all night. But, no, I couldn't tell the difference.

Charlestonjoan said...

Now we know we can go snooping!

Pamela said...

I always thought it was not open to the public, also! So happy to find that it's not - can't wait to go back there and check it out!

Chirrup18 said...

Well, it would be if I was as diligent as you are! I will post more soon, though.