11 February 2012

Caramel Pielicious!


When I was a kid, a visitor taught us how to boil a can of sweetened condensed milk for three hours submerged in water. When you open the can it has magically turned into dark, thick caramel. To this day, when my brother Jim comes to visit me I boil up some milk and we sit there with spoons licking our ritual treat.

It turns out O'Charley's makes a pie that tastes exactly like that caramel! They even make a tiny caramel tart for one. My office mate Dianna picked up FIVE caramel pies for my birthday and one of my volunteers made a homemade carrot cake. When I stopped by Roper Hospital there were two more pies waiting for me. I may have finally had enough sugar.

There are hundreds of web links discussing different ways to make Dulce de leche but I stick to the tried and true method. I did test the microwave and had a sticky mess all over the kitchen.

Thanks folks! I was completely spoiled for my birthday.


17 comments:

Rick said...

I cannot think of a more deserving person, or is that desserting?

Lowandslow said...

Happy Birthday, Joan! Had we known earlier we could have arranged celebrations and fireworks in each time zone as "your" day began, just like on New Year's Eve. Maybe next year, OK? :)

S

Charlestonjoan said...

Hahah! That is funny! Trust me, there was enough pie for everyone.

Charlestonjoan said...

Hey Rick - I was just thinking of you. I finally found your name on the sidewalk.

Kate said...

What a wonderful group of friends! They made your birthday memorable. Happy Returns!!

Rick said...

Where did you find that? My children have their bricks in King Street but I don't remember ever putting my name in the sidewalk. You'll have to send me a picture.

Suzie said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Blog Girlfriend! I hope you have an awesome weekend!

Les said...

Happy birthday to you Joan. If I was in Charleston I would have insinuated myself into your office party as I like carmel so very much.

Marcheline said...

Happy, happier, happiest birthday, Joan!

Pixel Peeper said...

Happy birthday! And luckily, any kind of birthday treat, be it carrot cake or caramel pie, has no calories.

Charlestonjoan said...

They did indeed. Takes the sting out of growing older.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Suzie! Just back from the symphony now. A nice evening.

Charlestonjoan said...

Les, you have to try the boiled condensed milk trick then!

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Marcheline!

Charlestonjoan said...

Thank you. I do hope that is true!

Sarah said...

Happy belated birthday...I hope it was wonderful!

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Sarah! I was very well taken care of.