12 February 2012

The Grande Dames of East Bay St.

East Bay St., Charleston, S.C.
East Bay St., Charleston, S.C.
East Bay St., Charleston, S.C.

East Bay St., Charleston, S.C.
The sky was so brilliantly blue yesterday it made me look at everything with a fresh eye. I never think of East Bay as a beautiful street but look at these grand houses. They are incredible. Cars move quickly along here so we aren't as likely to appreciate how glorious these buildings are.

I've mentioned that my own house (not one of these) is for sale. I have a big old wooden historic house built in 1840 and share it with two tenants who are kind enough to contribute monthly to my tax and insurance bills. My hope is to downsize to something small and low maintenance.  I don't expect it to sell anytime soon in the current market and remind myself that downtown Charleston isn't the worst place to be stuck. True. Two blocks from the Farmer's Market, King St., restaurants etc. Life could be worse, eh?!

Meanwhile, someone looked at the house yesterday and wants to come back today so I am cleaning up and getting ready to go out for my walk. If I'd won the $325,000 lottery last night none of this would matter.

Stay warm kids!

4 comments:

Marcheline said...

I love the second one best... THE IVY! THE PORCH!

Good luck on selling your place, and finding a perfect wee cottage for yourself. It's out there waiting for you, I feel it.

Pixel Peeper said...

Selling a house is stressful. Good luck!

I love these beautiful big old houses...as long as they belong to someone else.

BenB said...

Good luck with the potential buyer!

Jack said...

You don't think Bay Street is beautiful? Joan, take another look at your pictures.

Good luck on selling your house. That is easier said than done in many places.