25 January 2012

Robbie Burns' Day

Edinburgh, Scotland


''Then you, ye auld, snick-drawing dog!
Ye cam to Paradise incog,
An' played on a man a cursed brogue,
(Black be your fa'!)
An' gied the infant warld a shog,
'Maist ruined a'.''






Robert Burns (1759-1796), Scottish poet
Happy Robbie Burns Day, kids! I'm not sure what this poem means but I had a good Scottish picture with a dog in it and this was his only poem mentioning a dog. Is he even talking about a dog? In 2008 I flew to Edinburgh and hiked across England coast to coast along the ruins of Emperor Hadrian's Wall. It was a grand trip but beginning and ending in Edinburgh was one of the highlights. I am a Cameron on my mother's side and it was good to be in a city with old connections.

I trust my brother Bob is in his kilt celebrating with a generous share of whisky.

7 comments:

Rick said...

Something about draw us another barkeep, yeah, the black and tan put it on his tab. I think that's the jist...

Charlestonjoan said...

Rick - Works for me!

Kate said...

Well, it definitely is a different memorial for this dog!

Lowandslow said...

Not familiar with the significance of this Day, but what the heck. Cheers, everyone! ;)

S

Rachel said...

How wonderful! I didn't know that it was Rabbie Burns Day! Thanks for telling us. And I love that photo of the dog with the colorful pub behind it. What an amazing trip that must have been! Did you do some blog posts about it? I will have to go see. That sounds like something that I would totally love to do! My mother lived in Edinburgh for a while in the 70's and she dearly loved it. That would be a good trip to take with her.

Marcheline said...

Och, aye! Ah thot Rabbie's day was in Feb'ry, but ah wuz wrrrrrrong!

Charlestonjoan said...

Kate - there is a lovely story behind it. Grayfriar's dog. You can google it.

Lowandslow - Make it a tradition! Any excuse to eat, drink and be merry!

Rachel - I think I did! If not, I sure have an album. It was a great trip. We hiked about 100 miles and stayed in lovely bed and breakfasts along the way.

Marcheline - You sound like my granny :)