08 February 2011

Hearty, har, har...


Hadrian's Wall, U.K.

A couple of years ago I set off with my friend Pat and her sister Kathie to hike across England from coast to coast following the excavation of Emperor Hadrian's wall. We walked just under 100 miles through gorgeous countryside, opening and closing at least that many pasture gates, dodging cows, stepping in sheep dung, exploring stone ruins, chapels and collapsing into big soft beds in beautiful old bed & breakfast inns at the end of the day.

I had my eye out for heart shapes on that trip and found them everywhere. The top one was on a door where we stayed on a working dairy farm. The photo below was outside the little shop where I bought my Roman hiking helmet. I was walking a Roman wall after all!

More photos of that hike in this album: Hadrian's Wall Hike


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am drawn to hearts. These are delightful. I love wandering. Too.

Kristen said...

I just might have to use that top image on Valentines Day... LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Charlestonjoan said...

maggsworld - Thank you :)

Kristen - Help yourself! There are more hearts in this album:
http://joanperry.smugmug.com/Other/Hearts/6522758_XZxsd#427424415_TESaf

Namrata said...

The words "heart shapes" reminds me that last year,I saw two heart shaped tiny cushions strapped to the upper portion of the front seats inside a car and the print was of the Stars & Stripes; which you, as a person living in the USA,may have seen this print so many items,apart from the Flag. The two tiny cushions are one of the cutest items I've seen and the charm was enhanced definitely, because of the combination of the three colours.

Clytie said...

Beautiful hearts! I love the door heart - in fact, it has been featured on Guest Heart Thursday this week!

clytie-randomhearts.blogspot.com

Marcheline said...

I love ya more than chocolate biscuits, Joan Perry.

Charlestonjoan said...

Namrata - That sounds adorable!

Clytie - Cool! If you follow the link in the comment above I have an album of heart photos.

Marcheline - More that choco biscuits?! That is a lot!

Doug Hickok said...

Fabulous photography Joan. What a great adventure that hike must have been. The country side looks so beautifully pastoral.