07 February 2011

Pull up a chair


Magnolia Plantation, Charleston, S.C.

My walk was foiled by rain so I've had extra time to play with my new computer and dip into a box of chocolates I haven't opened since Christmas. A friend asked for some Lowcountry prints to decorate his house with so I have been flitting through albums trying to pick what might suit and found this one I'd played with sepia tinting.

By the time it dried enough to walk, it was late and dark. I decided I shouldn't go out, and that irritated me. I try not to be stupid and walk the streets likely to be populated in the evenings but three young women have been mugged and assaulted in my neighborhood in recent weeks.

Caring people who know I march about town, ask me endlessly if what they read in the paper happened in my area and I have to admit it did. Then, as a rule they warn me not to go out at night, not to walk alone.

I want to say, yes, we should, we all should. We should turn our porch lights on and sit outside, visit across fences and play a little music. We shouldn't give away the neighborhood as soon as evil stakes a claim. Tonight however, without another soul in sight on my street, I stayed in. Blah.

8 comments:

Randy said...

What an amazing photograph!

Anonymous said...

I adore that image...it speaks to me on many levels.

Marcheline said...

Brains. You got'em. Glad you're using 'em. Stay alive to walk another day in the sunshine!

Lisa Renée said...

They say with age comes wisdom....

Nancy Chisum said...

It's a beautiful picture for sure. I agree, if we banded together as a neighborhood we could reclaim them and make them safe, there should be no reason for not enjoying an evening walk but sadly there is.

Doug Hickok said...

Wonderful photograph Joan. As orphan Annie used to sing, "The sun will come out tomorrow...la la la" There'll be better days ahead.

Catalyst said...

I can't believe you had not sampled that box of chocolates since Christmas! Such resolve!

On walking the mean streets at night, I'm with those who say "don't". But if you must, have some pepper spray with you. Stay safe.

Charlestonjoan said...

Catalyst - Such discipline. Now that the box of chocolates is open I am doomed.

Doug - Thank you! Soon it will stay light later and I won't worry about it - or they will catch this guy.

Nancy - I agree. Just trying not to be stupid.

Lisa - I can only hope!

Marcheline - I'll try.

maggsworld - Thank you! I don't do too much post processing. I can't still still long enough so I try to take better pictures that don't need fooling with.

Randy - Thank you!