01 October 2010

Ben Timpson at Scoop Gallery



I did a post on Ben Timpson's magical creations last year when he had a show at the City Gallery. Now, I am out of town in St. Louis (twelve hour trip, yawn), but you can see his work at Scoop Gallery on Broad St. starting tomorrow evening. Show info.

Ben Timpson's Inside Nothing is Everything:

From an upcoming biography on Ben and his art process:
"When classically trained painter Ben Timpson turned his artist's eye from large canvases to tiny bits of the natural world, his work entered a mysterious realm of fanciful, dark beauty. Flowers, insects, blood and bone – the eccentric materials Timpson collects find their way into miniature compositions he assembles into slides in painstaking marathons at his light table. These haunting and whimsical photographs, published for the first time in "End of the Roll: Goodnight 35mm," capture a style that trades traditional notions of painting and collage for an evocative visual alchemy. The result is a gallery of alarmingly original images, and the publishing debut of a remarkable young artist."

Y'all behave while I am away. I arrived hours later, missing the keynote speaker and reception I was supposed to take pictures at and no one had tea ready for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspiring

Anonymous said...

What a very cool thing to do with found bits from nature walks. That is very inspiring and I hope that he will sell lots of his work.

Sorry that you were late and there was so tea for you. That part is just the last degradation, I say, as I sip tea and nod knowingly. - Rachel

Charlestonjoan said...

maggsworld - it really is.

Rachel his work is really magical. I need to see if I can at least afford a print.