02 October 2010

St. Louis field trip


Cheese-ology, Delmar Loop, St. Louis, MO

I am in St. Louis attending the national AHVRP conference for volunteer managers in health care. It was a heck of a long drawn out trip after switching airlines and being rerouted I arrived long after the first sessions I was supposed to be taking pictures at. I go to this particular conference every year and they comp my tuition and room charge since I serve as event photographer.

I love settling into a hotel room in a new city, pulling back the curtains and wondering what fresh treats are waiting in the dark city for me to discover. I check the important things - can I make coffee flavored tea (yes pot, no tea), weak wireless access for $38 for the three days (check), no sign of bedbugs (check, check).

Bedbugs have been creeping across the country. We aren't used to them and I don't want them. Been there, done that as a kid. One of my volunteers brought me a giant plastic bag to put my suitcase in after she heard me talking about it. Later I started nibbling on a snack pack of fruits and nuts and every time I spilled a sunflower seed in the sheets I thought it was one of the nasty critters. Heheh. Thanks to the Marriott I have a lovely fresh room.

I don't have much free time but my friend Mike in Charleston had mentioned that his son William and wife Laura had recently opened a Macaroni & Cheese restaurant in St. Louis. How could I not check on that? Yesterday after dashing though the vendor fair I figured out the Metroline and walked down Delmar past the old Pageant Theater to track down Cheese-ology.

What a brilliant idea! Besides a few salads, the menu is entirely macaroni and cheese served bubbly hot in miniature cast iron skillets. Laura came out to keep me company while I ate and it was delicious. She said people often weren't able to finish the whole portion but I licked my skillet clean. It would be a dangerous restaurant for me to live too close to. I love macaroni and cheese. The one I had was a daily special with spicy sausage and mushrooms.

Okay, kids, I need to jump in the shower and leap into action. It won't offend me at all if things have dried up and cooled down a bit before I get back to Charleston.

7 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

Glad to hear about the lack of bedbugs. I don't thin we have any Macaroni & Cheese places in Sweden. Glad you liked the food!

Pamela said...

My Dad was from Metro St. Louis and I go there often and even used to live there for a couple of years. Knowing there is a macaroni and cheese restaurant is probably not a good thing since it's one of my favorite dishes!

Marcheline said...

Egads, and just last night I ate regular old box mac'n'cheese and thought it was great.... yours sounds HEAVENLY!!!

Cullen said...

Highs in the low 70's, lows in the mid-50's and no rain await you when you arrive back! It's gorgeous and starting to feel like fall. Hopefully it lasts and we don't get a late heat wave.

Charlestonjoan said...

Cullen - I just might consider coming home in that case ;)

Jack said...

There is hardly any food better than mac'n'cheese! I must put this on my list if I get to St. Louis in the near future.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Cheese! Well, you gotta get your daily dose of calcium some way. - Rachel