25 August 2009

Deliver the letter, the sooner the better....


Post Office, Adams Run, S.C.

Okay, it's not exactly a Charleston daily photo, but close enough. This is the wee little post office in Adams Run, S.C. I must have caught it right after a fresh coat of paint.

Remember looking forward to the mailman? With email and your comments it's like getting mail every time I check online. I love getting comments and can't thank you all enough. I've been too busy lately to return them like I should but I will! I will.

My grandmother had a Scottish accent and enjoyed her daily trip to the roadside mailbox see if the "Postie" had come. Now all I get are ads that I never open, credit card offers, privacy notifications and regular increases in insurance premiums. They are threatening again to cut out weekend mail delivery and for the first time I can hardly care.

Have you noticed that even the blue mail boxes are disappearing? I often take an envelope to slip in the mail when I go on a walk and end up bringing it right back home again.

Tea time kids! I had another long day with fund raising sales beginning at 7 a.m. Periodically I let vendors in to sell to employees and I get a percentage that the volunteers can use to do lovely things for the hospital. I sold over $17,000 worth of scrub suits, shoes and uniforms in one eight hour day. It boggles the mind. We are going to have some well dressed nurses.

10 comments:

MrScribbler said...

Joan, your photos make me homesick for places I've never been!

Charlestonjoan said...

What a lovely thing to say Scribs. Thank you.

Susan Moorhead said...

Oh, I miss real mail. Letters with stamps and the mystery inside, waiting for you to tear into it....sigh.
Did I know you had a Scottish Gran? My Dad was Scottish :)

Frank said...

I love the way nurse dress but I won't go there. (Oops, I went there.) They are much better looking then doctors, male or female. Must be something about there authority and attitude. Love 'em.

Your way to raise some funds sounds creative and very worthwhile.

chucker said...

Funny timing, I posted yesterday about an "official" letter I received.

Have you ever seen a mailbox painted as Star Wars' R2D2? Saw one at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California

Judy said...

I remember when going to the post office was a great social gathering. You would meet all the people from around the area and have a nice gab session and maybe go for a cup of coffee and a doughnut. This one looks like one of those places.

Sunny said...

I love snail mail! The post offices closing and reduced mail times/days is sad.

"Through wind, hail, sleet, snow....."

Which reminds me, I need to find time to write some notes and mail them (the old-fashioned way!)

Sunny said...

Yes, as a matter of fact...I have noticed the blue mailboxes disappearing....

That was great, selling that many scrubs, shoes, and uniforms in a day's time! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Great find, Joan. How are ya?

Charlestonjoan said...

wildstorm - Waiting for Joint Commission. You know how that is. Everyone is edgy.

Judy - Everytime I look for a mailbox it is gone! I thought it was my imagination.

Jarart - It does look like a sweet homey place, doesn't it?

Chucker - No, I haven't seen one of those. Cool!

Frank - After yesterday we should have the best dressed nurses in the country.

Susan - Yes. They never do lose their accent do they? I love the Scottish accent. I went when I was a kid and met some family.