21 May 2017

Ending Petlessness

EcoSphere

I smiled last fall when we noticed huge billboards in Portland, Oregon that promoted "Ending Petlessness" but now I have my own pets! I don't have to rush home to feed them or take them out for walks. Inside the glass globe is a totally enclosed ecosystem - a complete, self-contained and self-sustaining miniature world encased in glass with tiny shrimp swimming around. I will admit they weren't eager to pose for my camera. The little pink blur in the center was one of them swimming by. 
EcoSphere: Inside each EcoSphere are active micro-organisms, small shrimp, algae and bacteria, each existing in filtered sea water. Because the EcoSphere is a self-sustaining ecosystem, you never have to feed the life within. Simply provide your EcoSphere with a source of indirect natural or artificial light and enjoy this aesthetic blend of art and science, beauty and balance.
I've been a bit out of commission lately and have missed grabbing pictures of activities in Charleston. Meanwhile check out Vanessa Kauffman's great pictures of the Tall Ship Festival.