07 January 2015

Tucked away in a tree

Oak Tree, Magnolia Plantation, Charleston, S.C.
See the little opening in the giant oak tree? Take a guess. What do you think it is? It is pretty unique and created by man. I'll come back and post the answer if no one knows or remembers.

Edit to add the answer: The former owner loved the property and tree so much that when he passed away in 2002 he had himself cremated and the remains put in a box that was tucked inside the tree. I imagine the bark will gradually cover up the entire thing and he will be secure inside the tree itself. 

6 comments:

Kate said...

The pretty little bright flowers are such a welcome sight!!

Catalyst said...

A mailbox?

chuckography said...

Damage from a cannon ball?

William Kendall said...

I would have no idea, but chuckography's notion seems to have potential.

chuckography said...

Thanks Bill Kendall. It's a local thang.

Marcheline said...

I was going to guess that it was a fairy's house. My mom used to take me through the woods when I was little, looking for those hollows at the bases of trees, and the little pools of rainwater, and tell me that fairies lived there. We'd put little bits of moss down as carpets, and pieces of bark as furniture, and make little rooms for them to play in.

What a wonderful way to "go and grow"! I think it would be fabulous if the container of the ashes was biodegradable and the whole thing would disintegrate and feed the tree... but even if it is just encapsulated, that is still a really cool idea! A redbud tree would make a great tree for that - they grow around anything!