06 September 2014

Cannon Park

Cannon Park, Charleston, S.C.
We have had dramatic sky and cloud patterns lately. I was ready to head out on my morning walk when the skies opened and poured rain which lasted until midday foiling that plan. Instead I cleaned out a closet, gathered a pile of items that hadn't been used recently and took them to Consign Charleston. I had dropped off some items a couple of years ago when I moved and honestly forgot about them. I admitted to being an inactive customer when they signed me in and they announced that I had a nice balance of cash that they owed me. Haha! Things looked brighter already.

I arrived in Charleston long after the old museum had burned down and all that was left were these striking white pillars that have become a landmark. I admit I get jealous when I hear folks who grew up in Charleston talking about exploring the museum. They seem to have such fond childhood memories of the place. As is often the case I learned some new things as I searched for information to go with my photo. Thanks Wikipedia!

Cannon Park: The property on which the park is located was given to the City of Charleston in the early 1800s for a public park. The land had previously been a sawmill pond. In anticipation of a Confederate reunion, Charleston's City Council decided to spend $30,000 to build a convention hall. Fifteen plans were submitted for the new facility, and those of Charlotte, North Carolina architect Frank Pierce Milburn were selected. The hall, with seating for 7000, was completed and handed over to the City Council on April 27, 1899. After the Confederate reunion, the hall was infrequently used, and never to capacity. In October 1901, the City Parks Commission leased the auditorium to William P. Dowling, Jr. for a term of three years for use as a theater. City Council, in December 1904, chose to use the building as a temporary location for the City Hospital. In January 1907, City Council agreed to lease the hall to the College of Charleston to house its museum, thereafter known as the Charleston Museum, for a nominal rent. In October 1981, a fire destroyed the hall about one year after the museum moved to Meeting Street, leaving only its four grand columns.
Have a good weekend, kids! I just walked down to Earthfare and enjoyed their buffet for dinner so I did get my walk in after all. 


4 comments:

William Kendall said...

The pillars are a lovely reminder of what was... a shame about the museum though.

Jack said...

The fine columns are impressive all by themselves.

Charlestonjoan said...

Everyone who grew up in Charleston has such lovely memories of it.

Charlestonjoan said...

Yes, they have become a landmark in their own right.