09 July 2013

Travel Tuesdays - Hadrian's Wall

Hadrian's Wall, UK
On Travel Tuesdays we take a trip off the Charleston peninsula and dip into past travel albums. Join me on a field trip!

In 2008 my friend Pat swooped into my office and asked if I wanted to walk across England. Of course I did! We flew to Edinburgh, took the train to the starting point of the excavation of Emperor Hadrian's wall and hiked along the remnants of the wall all the way to the coast staying in Bed & Breakfasts and farmhouses along the way. I am the only person who can walk over 100 miles and weigh to the dot exactly what I started at because I gobbled down full English breakfasts every morning.

Check Pat & Kathie's blog for a great write up of our hike. Oh, and the bottom picture? Yes, I bought a kid's Roman helmet to wear. When marching in the footprints of Romans, eh?


 
 

7 comments:

Catalyst said...

Such an adventure! And you look smashing in the helmet!

Marcheline said...

You're still a step or two ahead of the game, because I gain weight just THINKING about the English breakfasts! I spent 2 weeks in Scotland back in the 1980's and gained a full stone - all the fault of those delicious morning fry-ups! I thought it was worth it, since British restaurants are never open when I'm hungry. New York restaurants almost never close, but over there they close mid-day for - a nap? Dunno, but I was constantly bugging inn owners to just throw me a sandwich or something. I could never get hungry at the right time - ha!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

What a wonderful adventure.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Bruce. I left it at the last B & B rather than packing it and I'm still kinda sad about that.

Charlestonjoan said...

Marcheline - you know what I am talking about...sausage, eggs, stewed tomatoes, mushrooms....yum. I kept thinking I would walk it off :)

Charlestonjoan said...

It was! It was a nice mix of nature, fresh air and lovely B & B's.

Marcheline said...

... since I was in Scotland mine also included slices of pressed haggis fried up, or blood sausage - mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Egads, I miss Scotland.