23 February 2013

Charleston drought

Flood plains of West Ashley, Charleston, S.C.
The Post & Courier reminds us that despite the rain, we are experiencing a drought. This is what my drought looks like.

I clearly have a drainage issue. I am the middle in a series of three homes without the drainage ditch that all the other houses on my street have but although this section is a state road the S.C. Deptartment of Transportation  wrote me back a pretty letter claiming no responsibility for the water run off from the road. I put off fixing my fence hoping they would put a ditch in but finally gave up and fixed it. I haven't done any landscaping yet because I don't know what to do. The water washes away all the topsoil so it almost seems pointless. I'll make dinner for anyone with any suggestions. Meanwhile I hop from puddle to puddle.

10 comments:

chuckography said...

Joan, years ago I had a similar problem with "standing water" and solved it with a French Drain.
http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lazylandscaping/ht/French_drains.htm
As the attached explains, you have a deep hole(s) that are filled with gravel. The rocks keep it open and the water drizzles down to a lower level.

I only needed to dig one at the base of my stairs. You would require more.

What's on the dinner menu?

Kate said...

Is Chuckography going to did the holes for you, too. Don't be rash, Joan, have the advice followed up with action!

Anonymous said...

Dig a hole for a goldfish pond, and let your poor drainage take care of adding water.
(This in combination with the french drain would be nice, but the suggestion of the drain by itself doesn't seem to fix the problem-- where would you divert the water to?)

Charlestonjoan said...

The problem is directing the flow of water. I have a little cinderblock wall at the back of the property as a barrier to a large ditch that fills up. If I drain an opening into it it very might well over flow back and fill my back yard which isn't really a problem right now. Aaargh. I am tempted to dump fill dirt on my front yard but my two neighbors won't appreciate that. I should have offered to cook for solutions, not suggestions, eh :)

Charlestonjoan said...

Right...my yard is solid roots. Hard to even dig for plants.

Charlestonjoan said...

I like it!

You hit the nail on the head. The street behind me is blocked with flooding water. I need a ditch to connect with the system in place on my street.

Jack said...

Nasty. I am afraid I don't have a suggestion but I am coming for dinner any way.

john prince said...

Joan, wish I could be down there to help, but feel free to ask questions. Your flora is about 98% the same as ours here in Norfolk. Drainage issues are one of my specialties. Best of luck..

Charlestonjoan said...

Come on down :)))

Charlestonjoan said...

John - I wish you were! I'm tempted to dump a load of topsoil in my yard to build it up but that would cause everything to run off into my neighbors. I am trying to find out if I have any connections to anyone in the Dept of Transportation who can talk straight to me. It looks to me like there is a drain in the middle of the neighbors property I should be able to connect to.