23 February 2013

Charleston drought

Flood plains of West Ashley, Charleston, S.C.
The Post & Courier reminds us that despite the rain, we are experiencing a drought. This is what my drought looks like.

I clearly have a drainage issue. I am the middle in a series of three homes without the drainage ditch that all the other houses on my street have but although this section is a state road the S.C. Deptartment of Transportation  wrote me back a pretty letter claiming no responsibility for the water run off from the road. I put off fixing my fence hoping they would put a ditch in but finally gave up and fixed it. I haven't done any landscaping yet because I don't know what to do. The water washes away all the topsoil so it almost seems pointless. I'll make dinner for anyone with any suggestions. Meanwhile I hop from puddle to puddle.