24 March 2012

Amtrak - 40th Anniversary

Amtrak Exhibition Train, Charleston, S.C.
The Amtrak Exhibition train pulled on to the tracks next to Ansonborough Field for the weekend so after the Walk for Water this morning I headed in that direction. I have some happy memories of riding the train from Charleston to Washington, DC and to New York City with my kids when they were little. We used to like to get the bedroom compartments when we could. 

Amtrak Police Officers and canine partners are traveling with the train. Officer Dan Scanlan gave me his card with a picture of him and his dog Bleckey so I made them re-enact the pose below.  Check out the view of Dockside apartments framed by the train window.  Makes me want to go on a train ride.



13 comments:

Donna Gill Colestock said...

The kids and I saw that on our outing yesterday. I was intrigued, since I was fairly certain that North Charleston was the closest they come. Several of the cars had "exhibition" or something close to that, on the side. What my kids noted was the lack of tags/graffiti on the side. It cracked me up, because they have never remarked on the cargo train cars with tagging all over them. They don't miss a thing.

Pixel Peeper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pixel Peeper said...

I love trains! I used to ride a train to school every day going to high school. Some day I'll take a train trip vacation someplace out west. It's on my bucket list.

Charlestonjoan said...

That is very perceptive! Clever kids.

Charlestonjoan said...

Pixel - there are some fancy trains that go through the national parks out west with sleeping compartments and observation decks. I think that would be a grand thing. Not cheap though :(.

chuckography said...

Joan, sorry I missed the train connection today with you! Hope people that have never been on a train take the opportunity to hop on board. The coach seats rival the first class comfort on the airlines.

brattcat said...

two very fine posts, this and the water post. thanks, joan.

Kate said...

Lots going on in your fair city!

Charlestonjoan said...

It looks like we took some of the same photos! Vera was there as well. It is amazing we all missed each other. Great minds think alike, eh?!

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks brattcat! There is a lot going on here and between rain showers it has been beautiful.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks brattcat! There is a lot going on here and between rain showers it has been beautiful. I hope you are having a good weekend.

Charlestonjoan said...

Yes there is! Don't forget to remind me when you are coming to Charleston.

Catalyst said...

I love trains. The ones in Europe were/are the best.