25 February 2012

Cruising Charleston

Market St., Charleston, S.C.
Most cruise ship visits seem to happen during the week when I am at work and I've barely noticed the impact. It is a startling sight to see the huge Carnival Fantasy pulled up right at the end of Market St. Usually I can tell when a ship is in town by the huddle of people clustered on the sidewalks around places that have free wifi. I don't what the arrival and departure times are but the streets were packed and restaurants were full today. Was something else big going on in town?

I had to reward myself for my morning of hard labor cleaning out my attic so I walked down and enjoyed a chicken pita pocket at Tabbuli Grill's new outdoor patio. By the time I left every table was full. 


6 comments:

Suzie said...

The ships bring so much business and MONEY to Charleston. I agree, I don't like the crowds but we do have the off days to enjoy our city - which we are so proud of and always want to share and then complain when it is crowded :)

Lowandslow said...

At least Carnival knows how to keep the shiny side up. Just take their money and smile. :)

So what's the little round building?

S

Kate said...

When we used to winter in Mazatlan, Mexico we had a rental with a terrace looking down at the docks. I'd get up early to watch the cruise ships dock and was always amazed at how they could turn on a dime. I didn't always enjoy the crowds of tourists from the ships when I encountered them on the street nor did I like the pollution they brought with them, but I was pleased that the Mexican enjoyed some extra income from them.

I wasn't aware that Charleston hosted cruise ships and I'll look for them (not hard to find!) when we arrive in April.

Charlestonjoan said...

I think it is a pump house. It is a nice little architectural feature.

Charlestonjoan said...

There had to be something else causing the crowds on Saturday. They were young groups traveling in clusters. My only complaint is when they completely block the sidewalk while they all stop to check their cell phones or talk and everyone has to walk on the street to get around them. Can you tell that is pet peeve? Pedestrian complaints :)

Charlestonjoan said...

You have such interesting travels! Yes, we do have cruise ships starting and stopping in Charleston now and controversy over how many is reasonable. Hopefully they can keep it manageable.