21 August 2011

The Turtle Ballet of Lake Marion


Lake Marion, S.C.

Look at him! So cute, posing for us! My friend Leah and I snuck our kayaks up quietly and although his companion slipped under the water as we approached, this fella kicked up his heels and posed for us. He let us get so close that it finally dawned on us that he was stuck and couldn't get his back feet to touch the cypress-knee perch. Leah gave him a gentle lift with her paddle after we were quite finished taking pictures.

I wasn't brave enough to take my DSLR out but my trusty pocket camera is a sweetie for certain things. It was like stirring soup paddling through the swamp plants but we had a great time stalking the elusive wood stork. Thanks for the company Leah!






11 comments:

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Great series of shots.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks bfarr!

Pat said...

Oh, I love these three photos, especially the turtle. I'm a big turtle fan.

Jack said...

Very nice, Joan. When I was down there on Shem Creek, I didn't want to risk damage to my DSLR or even my nice compact camera, so I bought a cheap compact that wouldn't bother me if I dropped it overboard.

Marcheline said...

I'm so glad you took your camera! I can smell that water. Thank you, from one turtle-saver to another. (I stop the car and take them out of the middle of the road.)

brattcat said...

thanks for bringing us along. these are great. thanks for helping young baryshnikov out of his fix, too.

Laura @ Hominy Girl said...

That is the cutest little turtle stretch I've ever seen! Very pretty pictures.

Irina said...

you were lucky to catch such a moment!! nice!

Charlestonjoan said...

Bibi - he was a cutie!

Jack - It is a problem for us photo buffs isn't it?

Marcheline - Gotta do it! The photos don't reflect how darn hot it was. I was stinky sweaty myself.

brattcat - you are welcome! We saved the tiny dancer. :)

Laura - it is a magical place up there under the trees. I felt like I was in a nature documentary.

Irina - I was lucky! I was so tickled I was laughing. :))

Anonymous said...

All of these photos are fabulous! I need a pocket camera like yours for my watery excursions. What kind do you have? - And that turtle is a SCREAM! I laughed when I saw it and wondered how on earth you could have snapped a shot like that. I'm so glad that y'all were there to rescue him. Too funny!

Charlestonjoan said...

Rachel - I got a good one since everyone expects me to carry a camera everywhere I go. It is the Cannon G12. It probably does a lot more than I will ever use.