17 June 2011

Mugdock Castle


Middle St., Sullivan's Island, S.C.

I only had a little pocket camera with me this evening but couldn't resist taking pictures of this old church building. I've wanted to get in and snoop around for a long time and this evening I was there for Matt and Sara's wedding party and was happy to be able to wander freely.

The building was originally constructed as the Chapel of the Holy Cross. It replaced Grace Church, consecrated in 1819, but destroyed in 1863 during the Union�s 545-day bombardment of Sullivan�s Island and Charleston.

The first church service was held on July 10th, 1892. On September 12th, 1895, Ellison Capers, the seventh Bishop of South Carolina, wrote in his journal: "Consecrated this day to the worship of Almighty God a beautiful stone edifice erected on Sullivan's Island to be known as "The Chapel of the Holy Cross."

I am sure it costs a fortune but what a fun place to stay Here is the web site with more photos. The weather was beautiful. Many happy anniversaries to the bride and groom.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the stonework

brattcat said...

And I thought you were going to have a restful weekend.

Lowandslow said...

Is that a cannon on top of the parapet? Well...I guess that's one way to collect tithes.

The kitchen area looks rather like a high quality pub. My kinda church. :)

S

Charlestonjoan said...

maggsworld - so unusual here since we don't have much stone.

brattcat - it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Nice lazy morning though.

lowandslow - It was so cool! I walked up to the roof top deck to get the photo. You can rent the whole place.