13 November 2010

Our Lady of the Organic Garden


Highland Lakes, North Carolina

I was a passenger in a car today and spent my time flicking through old pictures on camera cards pleased to come across this set I took on a visit to North Carolina some time ago. The statue is in the garden of Highland Lake Inn near Hendersonville. I've been in that area a couple of times through the years as everyone from Charleston has during the heat of the summer, and each time made a point to visit her.

I've been told the area used to be a Catholic Boy's and Girl's camp called Our Lady of the Hills before it was taken over by the Inn. Now she oversees the organic garden. I finally found some of the background history of the property on their web site.


5 comments:

Susan Moorhead said...

She's so peaceful.

Jhprince said...

It is very interesting how Catholics have been a part of the South for several hundred years. My family is Catholic, been here in Norfolk for 170 years.

MrScribbler said...

Given the birdhouse on the tree, I'd expect to see St Francis lurking around nearby, too....

Charlestonjoan said...

Susan, I love the setting. Bless the organic veggies.

Jhprince - Mine isn't Catholic but I went to a Catholic HS and work in a Catholic Hospital. I can almost "pass" :)

MrScribbler....Ohhhhh....naughty. Do they sneak into the woods?

Anonymous said...

I have a weakness for statuary. I like the idea of Our Lady guarding the fecundity of an organis garden ( likely because in our family, feeding/nurturing = expression of love).