20 June 2010

Raised Bed Gardening


Smith St., Charleston, S.C.

I can fall in love with the occupants of a house by what I learn from the sidewalk. Look at these raised bed planters! Aren't they grand? Check out the flower planters on the front steps. Goodness, they practically have to knock blossoms off to get up their steps. Charming. Whoever you are, coolness indeed!

What is everyone up to on this hot, hot weekend? My son and I went to Juanita Greenberg's for nacho's royale for lunch but I've been drinking pots full of iced coffee to cool down so I'm bouncing off the ceiling instead of taking a nap as planned.

I drink my icy drink and flick through MLS listings of cottages in the mountains. Starting from cheapest listings I try to imagine weekends in the pictured tumbledown shacks with their smashed-in walls and porches falling off. But, it would be cooler, right? Heheh. Luckily the weekend is over before I do anything foolish. After all, I've already been through my cabin in the mountains stage. Cringe.


11 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

When my son was much younger my wife and I had a nice raised bed garden for a few years. Things got really busy as my son got older and with the addition of our daughter. I keep hoping that we might be able to pick it back up on year.

Eric said...

why remove my comment? don't they make you strong anymore?

The Cassina Group said...

Great post!

Charlestonjoan said...

Sorry Eric - no problem with your comment. I reckon if it wasn't plants it might look like trash. I was in a rush this morning and removed it since it led to a commercial link. Comment on.

Anonymous said...

Joan, I think you'll agree that a walking space should be kept free,at least to the extent that, at least one can walk or move freely at a time.Can anyone in this arrangement?But the picture is ok.Otherwise you would'nt have taken it,is'nt it? NAMRATA

Eric said...

I agree that raised gardens have their place, but this could look so much classier. Why clutter the steps with plants? One or two, maybe, but as Namrata said, a walking space should be kept mostly clear. And if you're going to put plants in the lawn, why not put them directly in the ground? I suppose it does have a rustic cabin charm feel to it, though.

Charlestonjoan said...

As usual, the scene caught my eye because it was quirky. I've been reprimanded in comments before for straying from the traditionally photographed charming and beautiful side of Charleston. I hope I include enough of both.

Matt said...

This house in currently for sale by the HCF. I've had the pleasure of researching and going inside it for the final project of my historic preservation class. These plants are most likely temporary in an attempt to help sell the house.

Charlestonjoan said...

Matt - Thanks! Someone is definitely having fun with those garden beds though. That isn't a casual experiment although it might explain the cinderblocks. They probably didn't want to destroy the lawn if it was for sale.

Charlestonjoan said...

Matt - got any inside pictures to share?

Matt said...

I've got a few but I'm not sure how to post them.