02 January 2010

Wet Walking


King St., Charleston, S.C.

It started raining yesterday as I was heading out for my walk but that didn't stop the Emancipation Day Parade making it's way down King St. with all the beauty queens huddling under umbrella's on their floats envying the folks riding in vehicles. According to the Post & Courier the annual event is in honor of the Emancipation Proclamation, signed by President Abraham Lincoln on Jan. 1, 1863, declaring "that all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious states "are, and henceforward shall be free." A day worth celebrating indeed.

I have three handsome gentleman sleeping in my home this morning. Lucky me! My brother and his wife took their gang to Florida and are on the way back to Canada. We enjoyed Sticky Fingers last night so they could get some pulled pork and ribs. Yummers. We dropped the adults off at a hotel room and then we all stayed up much too late. They have a long cold drive ahead according to the weather reports but it's a treat to see them.


1 comment:

Judy said...

I agree, very much worth celebrating! You made some nice pictures of the parade even if it was raining.