02 January 2010

My First Footers - 2010


Perry Family, Charleston, S.C.

I was invited to participate in the Resolution Run at Hampton Park (don't run, too cold) and the Polar Bear Swim (I don't think so...). Luckily the new Year's tradition that comes from my Scottish background involves something a little easier to manage.
First Footer: The first person to visit your home on New Year’s Day has significance. It is considered good luck for a man to be the first person to cross your threshold (you have to let him in; he shouldn’t use a key to let himself in). It’s even better luck if he’s tall and good looking with dark hair. I’ve read specifically that the first footer should not have flat feet, crossed-eyes or a unibrow.

That's it, kids! I am supposed to have a tall, dark handsome man cross my threshold on New Year's Day. I think I can handle that! I should have an incredibly good year since I had not one, but four gentlemen come to my door yesterday. My brother Roger, wife Kathy and my nephews Caleb, Jesse and Joshua stopped by on their way home to Canada and spent the night. Thanks folks! I should have a grand 2010.

I've taken care of my tradition but I definitely think the rest of you should jump in the ocean.

7 comments:

Janet said...

Never heard that theory about New Year's guest, but you are lucky you had them!

Sandy said...

lol at we should all go jump in the ocean - no thank you!

I was only kidding on your post of being a young girl in India and it was hard to spot you (i'm kinda sarcastic that way sometimes, unless you really did get it :O)
Your guests looks so happy and wonderful to have around.

Love your living room! If that's your living room. The wall paint color is beautiful and so colorful. And the fireplace looks so lovely.

First person that came in my house was my husband who came back from the grocery store. Yes I think he is tall, and good looking and has dark hair, with some gray in it - but I'm sure that's okay lol

Have a Beautiful New Year!

Charlestonjoan said...

It is a better tradition than most of them!

Sandy said...

oh your going to have to tell me what paint color that is!

Charlestonjoan said...

Sandy - I figured you could pick me out :). Your husband counts for sure! Have a wonderful new year. That is my living room. I love that gas log fireplace. It makes the room so cozy and warm.

Charlestonjoan said...

Sandy - It is called Cottage Clay. It's a bit deeper shade than shows in that picture, more like a terracotta. My house is so old (1840) that I say it is held together with hundreds of layers of thick paint :).

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joan :) After a little investigation, and going to Sherwin Williams, Lowes, I think I finally found it at Home Depot and it's a Behr paint. And yes it does look terracotta. I still love it.
I love old homes, they have so much character. Hope the paint holds yours together lol
Stay warm !
Sandy