02 December 2009

Moving Picture Show - Kenya Style!


Plateau Girl's School, Eldoret, Kenya

Earlier this year, my health system raised the money for a water purification system from Water Missions International for a little hospital in Eldoret, Kenya. I was given the once in a lifetime opportunity to go to Kenya to document the commissioning of the system. It was a trip I will never forget.

About a mile from the hospital we stopped to tour the Plateau Girl's Boarding School. The girls were hard at work learning Chemistry and tough Geometry. I asked the Head Mistress what she needed and she said she would love to have a lending library for her students.

When I came back I boxed up a couple boxes of books and shipped them over. It was crazy though - books weigh a ton and take forever to ship. I talked to my CEO and he agreed to let my volunteers sponsor the purchase of a TV/DVD player that would be compatible with our DVDs. The idea was that I could then find educational documentaries as well as some fun movies that the students would enjoy.

We did it! I opened my email to find these pictures this morning. If I know them they had a whole ceremony to open their gifts. This is above and beyond anything they would have dreamed of and may be the first tv many of them will have seen. Too fun.

Now I have to figure out the DVD part. It isn't easy to think of what kinds of shows are suitable for a remote village in Kenya. I am thinking of the Planet Earth series but I'd like some fun entertainment as well, maybe Sound of Music, March of the Penguins. Little House on the Prairie? Classics. Any suggestions would be welcome. In fact, if you have used DVDs that might suit, I'll take them too!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too cool, I love it. If I can think of any ideas I'll send them along.....too early to think / gotta pack my lunch. Sally

Frank said...

Joan - Having also traveled to Africa last year, Ghana, your wonderful gift and their response is enough to make a comfortable and "wealthy" American cry. They are obviously thrilled with these new and unexpected riches. You know that you have changed their world forever and the hand lettered signs are just over-the-top. Such beautiful people and so appreciative of your caring and love. What a huge and immeasurable impact you have made.

I would send well-produced travelogues showcasing other parts of the world: other people, customs, architecture, history, religions and geography. (Plus some fun movies, etc.)

Judy said...

This is fantastic!! The look on their faces says it all.

Charlestonjoan said...

Sally - You will think of something!

Frank - Thanks. I keep looking at their faces. It has been such a treat to be able to do.

Jarart - Exactly. There were more pictures. I just pulled out a couple to share.

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Thanks for sharing a wonderful story and photos.

Marcheline said...

I think the kids would love The Lion King, Kung Fu Panda, The Emperor's New Groove, and that sort of thing. For the entertainment section, of course.

Planet Earth series will blow their minds - it's so great! I gave that to my mom for Christmas a few years ago - it's great because you never get tired of watching it.

Susan Moorhead said...

What a wonderful gift for them! I think the Planet Earth is a good idea and the Lion King, Kung Fu etc. You also might want to consider some of the books to movies dvds that Weston Woods Studios and Scholastic put out - popular books animated. I would be wary of sending some of the more popular entertainment offerings without previewing - some of ours might be a bit racy or questionable language (children's movies ain't what they used to be)and you would know from your trip what might be considered unacceptable in their culture. Get your children's librarian involved (we actually live for these sort of things!).