30 November 2009

Next?


Hampton Park, Charleston, S.C.

Renting out parts of this big old house helps pay the taxes and allows me to live on the peninsula where I can walk out and bring you back pretty pictures.

Being a landlady has mostly been a positive experience. I've made real friends, done things with tenants socially, baked for them, and when I had my family living here I invited tenants to join us for holidays. I've seen two sets of tenants get married after leaving my property. That is full service!

My downstairs tenant is moving on and I've been stumbling though weekly yard sales to get to my door. Reflecting back on people who have rented here, I've come up with these careers.

Rickshaw Driver
Juggler
Art History Professor
Navy - Nuclear Sub
Exotic Dancer (rent paid in a very thick envelope of cash)
Physician
Carpenter
Contractor
Server
Physical Therapist
Taxi Drivers
Lawyer
Coast Guard

What shall I look for next? A tinker, a tailor?

9 comments:

Lowell said...

A fascinating post, Joan. Look for anyone with money in his/her pocket and no criminal record!

arthur said...

A president?

Marcheline said...

You had me at "carpenter".

Charlestonjoan said...

I am trying to make light of it but the current gal has worn me out. It's time to wish her well and send her on her way. Whew. Time to clean and paint again.

Jacob - You are correct. It's always an uneasy moment bringing a new person onto my own property. For the most part I've been very fortunate but there have been a few unpleasant surprise. It sure does make it possible for me to live here though.

Halcyon said...

I can't imagine taking in lodgers. I am sure it must be tiring. Good luck on finding the perfect tenent. Maybe a nice artist or photographer? You'd have something in common at least!

Catalyst said...

Yes, taking in lodgers in this day and age must require a good eye and judgement. You're a braver person than I am!

Charlestonjoan said...

Halcyon - I have two actual apartments. My tenants are not in my part of the house.

Catalyst - Most houses in downtown Charleston are chopped up into a few units. Property tax is a killer.

becomingkate said...

Gorgeous pic!

ceejay said...

OH wow! I would love to live in Charleston. Visted your city last month and cannot wait to come back again. I dream about just loading up a U-haul and driving on over. I will find a job once I get there, okay? :-)