25 May 2009

Memorial Day. Thank You.


Charleston, SC

I gave a friend a ride home last week and had a glimpse into an incredible life. I caught him as he'd been sorting through his cedar chest and happened to have things usually kept tucked away spread out on his bed. I took the opportunity to snoop a little deeper.

I had my little pocket camera with me and laid out just a few of the amazing pieces that documented his story of driving tanks in Northern Africa and Italy. As most of the soldiers in WWII he was uncomfortable with my interest and repeated, "I didn't do anything really."

You did everything. Really.

Thank you.

7 comments:

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Wonderful artifacts of a soldier's life.

Anonymous said...

A Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts...

I think he did his share...

JFH

Charlestonjoan said...

JFH - That wasn't half of it. There was another Bronze Star as well.

Commander Zaius said...

Awesome picture! Its tells an amazing store all by itself.

Les said...

Makes we wonder what portion of us would have made the sacrafice if our times had called for it.

Judy said...

Wonderful tribute, and yes, thank you!

Marcheline said...

Wow. This is a case of "picture is worth a million words". Or maybe no words at all...