19 April 2009

Charleston in the News


Chalmers St., Charleston, SC

Charleston has been popping up everywhere in the national press lately and Notoriously Nice Mike tracked down all the articles and links for us:

I hate to mention this to people who don't live here:

Charleston routinely makes travel and style magazines' top-ten lists, or gets nice mentions in national papers like the New York Times or regional magazines like Southern Living, but this week the city got glowing write-ups in two very different, glossy, national rags.

Forbes profiles what we call "historic Charleston" (everything below Calhoun and a little bit above) with emphasis on historic preservation and the exploding culinary scene:

"Charleston today has to be included among the handful of great eating cities in America, and it may be the only one where you can taste a local, close-to-the-ground cuisine being born and defined from plate to plate."

For Gourmet it's mostly about the food. (It's nice to see that my usually forgotten West Ashley gets a mention.) The dek?:

"Beyond the picture postcards, Charleston is a lovely port city that’s fast on its way to becoming a serious food capital."

*It's not that I don't want you to vacation here. It's that I prefer if you don't move here. Metro Charleston is crowded enough as it is. And yes, like you, I'm "from off" but I got here first.


Thanks Mike!

Note: Last year's picture. The Crepe Myrtles aren't in bloom yet.

8 comments:

Julia said...

The Glass Onion got a mention, fabulous! It's one of my new favorites, after our last visit.

Pat said...

Hey Joan! Better late (posting) than never - love the new little car! Are you just zipping all over the place? Kinda like new sneakers, huh?

Halcyon said...

Well this street certainly looks quaint. I can see why people would like to visit!

PersicaPit said...

I just had breakfast yesterday at the Hominy Grill, still my favorite restaurant in Charleston, still because of their amazing shrimp and grits. And it really is nice to see them acknowledge that there's some really great food in West Ashley -- I think one of the best breakfasts in town can be found at the Sunflower Cafe on Ashley River Road. Their grits are creamy and rich, their hollandaise sauce is always fresh and clean, and their pancakes are fluffy and filling all at the same time.

In any case, it's always nice to see favorable mentions of our great city in the national media. We really do live in one of the most unique cities in America, and more and more people are realizing it. Plus, we produced Stephen Colbert -- that's gotta earn us some cool points, right? ;-)

Daisy Deadhead said...

Beautiful houses.

airplane5312 said...

Lovely colors. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Joan said...

Julia - I've only been to the Glass Onion once - loved it.

Snapshutter - Thanks!

Daisy - One of the most beautiful streets.

PersicaPit - Hominy Grill - They have an eggplant and goat cheese sandwich at lunch. It's the only thing I get. Yum. The other one I love West Ashly is Amuse. I can go back there any day. Never had breakfast at Sunfire. I'll have to do that.

Pat - Thank you! I like my new baby. :)

PersicaPit said...

Joan - Sunflower's definitely worth a try - their prices are very reasonable, the staff is friendly, the service is fast, and the food is always amazing. And you're right, Amuse is another great West Ashley place - I never eat the same thing twice! :)