11 February 2009

Lowcountry Gum Trees


East Bay & Market St., Charleston, SC

Am I the only one who kinda likes the lowcountry version of a gum tree? I thought we were cool until I saw the Market Theater in Seattle on the Seattle Daily Photo blog. Clearly we still have some chewing to do folks! Gum for everyone.

Yesterday was my birthday but I don't see any reason the festivities shouldn't continue all week. My party at work yesterday was planned by a 95 year old gentleman. It was a blast. I got so many cards and little gifts I couldn't bring them all home. My son came over in the evening and did some magical work on my computer - the perfect gift. Now I can enjoy playing with graphics again.

This evening my friend Linda, the publisher of Island Life newspaper and I went down to take advantage of the specially priced dinner at McCrady's restaurant and my friend and General Manager Andre' treated us like royalty. Not only was I presented with a special chocolate dessert with a candle on it, but they brought out a steaming bucket of frozen strawberries. Sound weird? It was.

The strawberries had been frozen in liquid nitrogen. I was encouraged to pop them right into my mouth still frozen for the most dramatic display of smoky looking vapor pouring out of my mouth and nose. It was the coolest thing and my delighted laughter caught everyone's attention. We had to pass the plate of strawberries to the folks at the nearby tables who wanted in on the fun.

9 comments:

Judy said...

I like this gum tree for some strange reason. Happy Birthday!

Guy D said...

Lots of wonderful photography on here Joan, thanks so much for the tour. I will return often.

Cheers!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Cullen said...

Happy belated birthday, Joan! There was an article in yesterday's P&C about the "Charleston Gum Guy" going around and removing the gum from the poles downtown. I was very sad to read about it.

Charlestonjoan said...

Cullen: Thank you! I saw that article. Grrrr. Messing with my gum trees. Can't help but admire the guy for a creative way to make money though.

GuyD: Thank you! Not the snow pictures you have :)

Jarart: Me too.

Anonymous said...

Joan, you cheeky monkey you, not letting us know until now that yesterday was your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (My favorite birthday quote: You know you're getting older when the candles cost more than the cake.")

And just for the record, I too like the Lowcountry Gum Tree.

becomingkate said...

Happy Belated! Aquarius rocks :)

Marcheline said...

Happy Birthday to YOU!!! Hoping it's the best ever.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! My favorite birthday quote is from Lucille Ball:

The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

Anonymous said...

Nice to know that you are an Aquarian too.Mine's on February 6th. NAMRATA