23 July 2016

A Man Named Pearl

Pearl Fryar, Bishopville, SC  
I've had a good day.  A long drive in the country took us to Bishopville, SC. I'd been aiming for lunch at Harry & Harry Too but it was closed on Saturdays and we found good BBQ and fried flounder at Watford's BBQ.  Our goal was Pearl Fryar's topiary garden. I've been a fan of Mr. Fryar since I'd seen the documentary about his mad talent for trimming bushes into topiary shapes in the documentary "A Man Named Pearl" and I was so pleased to actually find him working in the garden and happy to visit and talk with us. It was such an honor and a treat that I am still smiling about it.
Since the early 1980s, Pearl Fryar has created fantastic topiary at his garden in Bishopville, South Carolina. Living sculptures, Pearl’s topiary are astounding feats of artistry and horticulture. Many of the plants in Pearl’s garden were rescued from the compost pile at local nurseries. With Pearl’s patience and skilled hands, these “throw aways” have thrived and have been transformed into wonderful abstract shapes. Pearl Fryar and his garden are now internationally recognized and have been the subject of numerous newspaper and magazine articles, television shows, and even a documentary, A Man Named Pearl. Today, the Pearl Fryar Topiary Garden draws visitors from around the globe.

5 comments:

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Great post and I too love Pearl!

Charlestonjoan said...

Thank you! We all do. People were there from far and wide and yet many more local folks don't know anything about him. I am so pleased that he was out in the garden while I was there.

William Kendall said...

From what I see, he does beautiful work!

Unknown said...

I love me some Watford's, and now I have another reason to visit Bishopville.

Charlestonjoan said...

Oh, if you do, be sure to check out my other entry on the button museum. Love these quirky spots!