14 June 2016

New Skateboard Park

SK8 Charleston, SC   
I've been hearing about the new Skateboard park, had seen pictures of it it but couldn't quite pin down the location. One of my self assigned goals for last weekend was to track it down. Coming towards town on I-26 at the Rutledge Ave. exit you can see the construction site over on the right. I walked up the bridge to no-where thinking that must be the entrance but had to back track and turn on to Oceanic Drive off of Mechanic St. I found it! More details here.
SK8 Charleston, the Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission's new skatepark, will be constructed at 1549 Oceanic Street, a 25-acre site with 3.3 acres of upland area located in the Charleston Neck area. SK8 Charleston will be located just a few miles north of downtown Charleston. Updates on the park’s progress will be posted to this page regularly.
The skateable area is roughly 32,500 square feet. We’ll have a 200+ foot snake run, a mini-bowl, a pro bowl, and a nearly 300-foot long street course. We’ll also have a small building with a check-in area, some retail and food items for sale, bathrooms and, covered and uncovered seating.
What fun this is going to be. Not for me of course, but I can't wait to see it in action. Well done Charleston.


2 comments:

William Kendall said...

I think it's a good idea- gives young people a place to do something they enjoy, keeps them from doing skate boarding in places where they shouldn't do so.

Charlestonjoan said...

That is exactly what I think. Why not give people what they want and uses wholesome energy - except for the bumps and bruises. I am amazed at what they can do on a skateboard.