25 August 2014

Raising Cane


Richard Neapolitan with his hand carved cane, Charleston, S.C.
There is nothing I love more than a sturdy walking stick on a hike. I got so close to my $3 bamboo poles after climbing into Machu Picchu that I wanted to bring them home on the plane and I got sentimental tucking them behind a bush waiting for the next sucker climber. 

Lately I have admired people who have turned their cane into a fashion accessory. I've spotted painted, carved and fancy tipped canes but this one takes the cake. I was at a friend's wedding when I noticed  Richard Neapolitan's cane with his own portrait hand carved into it.The cane was carved by his brother's friend, a retired Army Officer in Murphy, NC.

I did have to ask Richard to explain the inscription. Richard is a long term volunteer at Roper Hospital and met his wife Deb who was an employee there. See - you can volunteer and meet people! The initials stand for "Your Secret Admirer" and "My Only Girl".

Altogether now, "Awwwwww!" That is almost too sweet.

Thanks for letting me share, Richard!

3 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

Would make for an interesting series of photos and portraits. People and their walking sticks. Rickard's is a good one.

William Kendall said...

That's quite a cane!

Jack said...

Pretty cool.