22 October 2013

Fall color in the lowcountry

Charles Towne Landing, Charleston, S.C.
This is the scene that greeted me at the entrance to Charles Towne Landing on Sunday. Wow. It was beautiful. Also below, a reminder that it is almost time for the annual Ginko Biloba party when the leaves turn bright yellow and twirl to the ground. Magic. Two of the very best are at the Charleston Library Society but Charles Towne Landing has a couple as well.

In other news, Pecha Kucha 20 tickets go on sale tomorrow at 6 .pm. I haven't had much luck being free to get there recently but the tickets sell in a snap so be ready to order if you want to go: Charleston Creative Parliament.

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Beautiful colours among the growth on the ground... what kind of vegetation is that?

Charlestonjoan said...

The yellow leaves are from the Ginkgo Biloba trees. They will turn a brilliant yellow and fall to the ground in almost one day. I don't know the name of the purple plant. It was lovely.

William Kendall said...

I'm wondering if it might be a cousin to something we see here in the fields. It's not quite the same, but that purple reminds me of it.

I've heard of Ginkgo Biloba trees, but haven't seen them, at least that I remember. I haven't been in that part of the continent since childhood.