03 September 2013

Little Free Library - Charleston

Little Free Library, Logan St., Charleston, S.C.
The mission of the Little Free Library group is simple:
  • To promote literacy and the love of reading by building free book exchanges worldwide.
  • To build a sense of community as we share skills, creativity and wisdom across generations.

Google's image gallery for Little Free Libraries is just too adorable for words. Go look! I am not the first to feature this Charleston Free Library on Logan St. (just below Queen St. Grocery). So cute.

I love free lending libraries. I have one at the hospital so we can stock an assortment of books to offer our patients. Today I set up a shelf of books in our Operating Room Waiting Room for visitors stuck waiting for hours. I am just as pleased that the staff had discovered them. Turns out they usually leave as many as they take if not more.



7 comments:

Susan Moorhead said...

As a public librarian, this warms my heart! I love free libraries too. A friend who lives in Ct showed me that they have one set up at the town dump - drop off your garbage and get a book!

Jack said...

These little free libraries are terrific. I showed one on my blog last year and I leave books in it quite often. (I read a lot, so what can I do with them before they take over my house?) Your efforts at the hospital should be applauded.

Catalyst said...

We go through a lot of books here. Maybe I'll set up a little free library for as long as the HMO will let me get away with it.

Charlestonjoan said...

I love them too! I'd kinda like to have one but my property isn't situated in a way that would make sense for it.

Charlestonjoan said...

The funny thing is I have recently switched to reading on my tablet and I am hooked. I have always been a reader and determined that I needed actual books in hand. I've been an unexpected tablet convert. When I moved last year I got rid of boxes and boxes of books and that was very hard.

Charlestonjoan said...

Do it!

Marcheline said...

You should see the sheer volume of books in the crew rooms at all the airports... they're not set up in cute wee houses like this one, just usually cardboard boxes, but MAN there are lotsa books being shared! Of course, they're also being stocked by passengers who leave their books tucked in the seat back pocket in front of them... ha!