06 June 2013

Bear on George St.

George St., Charleston, S.C.
Where does a brown bear on George St. go to get out of the rain from tropical storm Andrea? I'd hide out in Caviar & Bananas myself. This fella was a surprise!

A few years ago I took a picture of this giant blue bird in the same spot. It reminded me of this (slightly altered) childhood song:
There was an old bear who swallowed a bird.....
How absurd! to swallow a bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
Perhaps she'll die. 


6 comments:

Merisi said...

Beautiful sculptures both, wonder where the blue bird is singing nowadays!

Charlestonjoan said...

Meresi, I liked him so much I considered trying to make one. It looks like paper mache.

Marcheline said...

Bear is my husband's nickname, so of course I'm partial to the bear... although it does look as though whoever has been riding him needs to cut back on the ice cream a bit. The statue, not my husband. Although, come to think of it... 8-D

Catalyst said...

I calls it weirdo art, that's what I says. Speshly the blue bird.

Charlestonjoan said...

I've been looking for a full size chain saw carved bear for my yard....I have just the right spot for it.

I remembered you calling your husband Bear. I did find in in the pavement here and thought of you.

Charlestonjoan said...

Oh Bruce...I am sure this highfallutin' Spoleto Festival installation art.