16 October 2012

Travel Tuesdays - What's cooking in the Monastery kitchen?

Tawang Monastery Kitchen, Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh, India
I've been lucky to have had the opportunity to take pictures of some of our best known chefs in the kitchens of Charleston's best restaurants. Maybe that is why, when I am traveling I look for a chance to snoop around the kitchens.When my brother took me far north into the mountains close to the Chinese border to visit the Tawang Monastery I was in awe. The monastery is the largest in India and is at an elevation on 10,000 feet and can house 700 monks. This was my glimpse into the kitchen.


 
 
 
 

Leaving the Monastery we drove on and walked down the mountain to the Buddhist Nun's Monastery where we were invited to spend the night. Snug in a tiny cottage where a group of three nuns lived, we got a lesson in making Momo dumplings and sipped on yak milk tea. More photos from this trip here.


*Travel Tuesdays will feature photos taken out of Charleston and the Lowcountry.  Join me for Travel Tuesday field trips!

3 comments:

Pixel Peeper said...

How cool that you got to experience that trip! I agree, looking into a kitchen can give you so much insight into another life or culture. And look at all those shiny pots!

Yak milk tea, huh?

Charlestonjoan said...

Actually it was Yak butter tea - not a big fan here. Might be an acquired taste but it wasn't for me.

Doug Hickok said...

What an awesome adventure! I would love to visit such a place.