04 September 2012

Travel Tuesdays - Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu, Peru

I watched a movie once that showed the Andes mountains and the Incan ruins of Machu Picchu and casually said, "I'd like to go there if I had someone to do it with."

I happened to say it when my brother Bob and his wife Elaine were visiting and he said he thought he'd like to hike it. Oooops. I really had no idea what I'd got myself into. I can walk forever but we don't do much climbing in the lowcountry.

This was four days hiking in to the sanctuary through high passes of some of the most glorious mountains in the world. We hiked with guides who set up tents, fed us and carried the bulk of our luggage. On the last morning we were first up and at the entrance ready to hike in. The path was slippery and narrow along the side of the mountain and we hiked single file in the dark. We couldn't see anything except our feet in front of us. We arrived at the Sun Gate at dawn and this is what we saw. Clouds. I didn't even know that we had arrived until the mist lifted and we were there. Unbelievable.


* Travel Tuesdays will feature photos taken out of Charleston and the Lowcountry.  Join me for Travel Tuesday field trips!