28 April 2012

Adventures in Moving

Lake Marion, S.C.
Lordy, kids, moving day lasts at least a week, doesn't it? I remember last time I did it, swearing that I would be buried in the back yard because I never planned to do it again.

Two Guys & A Truck gave me a moving time between 11 am and 4 pm yesterday and around 4 pm started a phone tag adventure giving them directions. They finally arrived around 4:30 but the more serious problem is that it had sunk in that morning that there was no way my beloved roll top computer desk was going to fit in my new little nest. It might get in the front door if we took it apart but there was no way it was going down the narrow hall into what is to be my new office. Help!

My internet has been disconnected so I had frantically been calling around to consignment stores hoping someone would agree to let my movers pack it up and drop it off on the way. Naturally we had to load it last and everything was going to close up on Friday evening. By the skin of our teeth we left town at 5:45 pm and pulled up at Consign Charleston on Wappoo Rd and dropped off a giant rolltop desk and mirrored entertainment center just before they shut their doors. Whew. My moving guys were great and tipped accordingly. If the shop hadn't stayed open the furniture would be sitting in my driveway right now. The desk is so heavy I couldn't lift it an inch to get the modem cord from underneath it.

So - if anyone is in the market for a real nice, wooden computer desk that can hide a house full of clutter when company comes, it is at Consign Charleston waiting for you. I was in and out in five minutes so I have no idea what price they put on it.

I was so tired last night I slept like a baby.  This house has been a rental for years so every little things needs to be fixed but I am here! Blogging is more trouble than it is worth so I won't be online much until knology gets me hooked up next Thursday. I can handle facebook but not this. The peaceful photo is from last weekend at Lake Marion. Sweet!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you my dear sister. Wish I was there to help.
love
Shirley

Anonymous said...

Am utterly addicted to Consign Charleston so will probably see your items very soon :-) Blessings to you as you embrace this new adventure. Who knows what the future holds--maybe a bedsit downtown will become available!

Anonymous said...

Poor tired baby! I'm with you sister, I do not like moving......very, very tiring. Hope you can rest up.
Sally

Pixel Peeper said...

I've used Two Guys and A Truck before - they are, indeed, wonderful.

I agree moving is exhausting. Get settled in and take pictures, and then come back and report to us. The new house - is it yours, or are you renting it, too?

Lowandslow said...

Remember me blabbering on and on about how I REALLY needed to get rid of my big 'old desk? I truly feel you pain. Hang on...it will be over soon and you'll be amazed how much less complicated your life will be. Keep smiling. ;)

S

Kate said...

The photo of Lake Marion looks peaceful and serene. I am amazed at how well you have accomplished this huge move. We'll wait patiently for more photos and news.

brattcat said...

hold onto the feeling you experienced here at the lake. soon you'll be settled in. take care.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Joan. I, too, have had to part with several items (in relation to moves) over the last couple of years. Not easy, but we survive.

I've used Two Men and a Truck twice - always well pleased with them.

Enjoy feathering that new nest of yours.

Charlestonjoan said...

Shirley - It looks like you are next. Good luck selling your home. I know it has lots of happy memories.

Charlestonjoan said...

Good! I was not familiar with it but it looks like they are worth exploring. Maybe I can trade for some smaller items.

Charlestonjoan said...

Amen. I am such a stable person. I can't imagine moving every couple of years like so many people do.

Charlestonjoan said...

The guys were great. I wish they'd come a little sooner but they made up for it. I do own the little house. It has been a rental property for years so worked out for me to move to instead of making any rush decisions.

Charlestonjoan said...

lowandslow - believe me I thought of you often yesterday! You are me moving mentor :)

Samuel Bebee said...

Welcome to the West of! Hope the settling in is going well!