08 February 2012

Purple & lime green? Aaaack!

Morris & Felix St., Charleston, S.C.
Help! How did these colors pass as acceptable by the Board of Architectural review in Charleston? My eyes hurt. Ouch. Ouch.

Cooking bacon in water. I know we aren't supposed to be eating it but it is, you know, bacon. This sounds weird. Wonder if it works.

My friend Yuriy Bekker will play a loaned million dollar ex-Hachez Stradivarius violin on Saturday evening with the Charleston Symphony Orchestra and I'll be there to hear it! Tickets are just $10 for students and begin at $20 for the rest of us.  
Rare Stradivarius will be featured in CSO Concert: On Saturday it will present the third of its Masterworks concerts, featuring Beethoven's popular Symphony No. 7. Beethoven surely is an appealing reason to attend the 7:30 p.m. performance, but the real treat will be the local debut of a new violin concerto whose subject is the state of South Carolina, written by composer and College of Charleston music professor Edward Hart especially for CSO Concertmaster Yuriy Bekker.But wait, there's more.The concerto will be played by Bekker on the 1686 ex-Nachez Stradivarius violin, one of the most treasured and valuable instruments in the world.
Chuck made his 500th post on Chuckography. Congrats on the milestone entry!

G'night kids. Thanks for all your kind comments. Turn the lights out. Don't stay up too late.

23 comments:

Laura said...

Whenever I see bright colored homes I think of the Gullah tradition of painting windowsills and door frames "haint" blue. It keeps the boo hags away!

Charlestonjoan said...

Laura, I have blue on my porch ceiling. Haven't seen hide nor hair of a boo hag :). This lime green is pushing it though. That is NOT Charleston green!

Maria Mansfield Richardson said...

Yikes! Now MY eyes hurt. I don't believe the BAR controls paint colors north of Calhoun Street. Perhaps they will after THIS disaster!

Charlestonjoan said...

Sure they do. I had to get my shade of blue approved on Vanderhorst. I'm not sure how high up they go but definitely above Calhoun St.

Hope you are feeling better Maria!

Lowandslow said...

Ouch! My eyes hurt. Maybe in parts of San Francisco, but not in beautiful, historic Charleston. :)

S

Carly Messmer said...

Wooo that is an ugly house!

Donna Gill Colestock said...

Yikes. I actually like purple and green together, but not those shades. In fact, that particular shade of green should be limited to safety clothing and temporary road signs.

re said...

Wow. Just...wow.

Vreni said...

A very brave mix of colours. Different. That´s why I like it :-)

Marcheline said...

Call me crazy, but I love this.

Charlestonjoan said...

That is my point. This just doesn't work here.

Charlestonjoan said...

I am not a lime green gal.

Charlestonjoan said...

It is different. Most historic houses in Charleston have to abide by some color guidelines. This one must have slipped through the cracks.

Charlestonjoan said...

Hi crazy! :)) It does stand out in proper old Charleston.

Pixel Peeper said...

Nobody ever will be able to say, "I couldn't find yoour house."

Les said...

There must have been a cell of guerilla painters that came to this house under cover of darknes on a moonless night and did the deed. Of course they would not need any light to see with once the green can was opened.

Charlestonjoan said...

They sure wouldn't!

Charlestonjoan said...

I was thinking of sneaking over with some dark Charleston green and painting the shutters at night. Would that be vandalism or a gift to the city?

chuckography said...

Felix and Morris Streets?? This house is just begging for catty comments.

foodmancing said...

So, did you ever try cooking the bacon?

Christina said...

I love that you also took a picture of this house! It has been the background on my phone for a couple months now! I know it's ugly (actually, horrendous), but purple and lime green are my favorite colors so it just made me smile! :)

Charlestonjoan said...

Not yet! I only have bacon when I am cooking full brunch for someone. Pancakes, bacon, the whole deal. I'll do it!

Charlestonjoan said...

It still startles me every time I turn that corner. What I don't get is that I had to submit the exact shade of blue I wanted to paint my house to the BAR to make sure it fit Charleston and then they are allowed to do this?