22 February 2012

Mushroom Run

Mepkin Abbey, Moncks Corner, S.C.

When PETA harassed the Franciscan Monks of Mepkin Abbey into giving up chicken farming they turned to mushroom growing. I had no complaints about them taking up mushrooms although I originally hoped they might decide to be the Fudge Making Monks of Moncks Corner. You must admit it has a ring to it!

The gardens are so beautiful it is worth a drive (check your directions) any time of the year and now you can pick up mushrooms. Here is the mushroom story and a link to the online store.  The monks are pretty high tech.

Okay kids. I need to get my shower and get to bed. Another day ends.


12 comments:

Marcheline said...

Let's just hope those monks get someone else to box up the chocolates.... because nothing could be worse than "The fudge-packing monks of Monck's Corner"....

*giggle*

Lowandslow said...

I can see movie starring Cheech and Chong as the mushroom growing brownie baking monks. :)

S

brattcat said...

lovely images. fudge would have been good.

Kathy Hare said...

they make a mean fruitcake....soaked in lots and lots of alcohol.....and that drizzle stuff they sell is delish as well.....i am gonna refrain from any fudge comments

Denise in London said...

Joan has never been one to fudge her words. :)

Susan Moorhead said...

My Dad used to grow mushrooms under the basement steps when I was a young thing...back then I thought it was just another weird thing to add to the parents are nuts list, now I think it was pretty cool.

Charlestonjoan said...

I am writing the screenplay in my head ;)

Charlestonjoan said...

See....you know what I mean. I bet it would have been delicious fudge.

Charlestonjoan said...

They do. It seems the shops in these Abbeys sell goods from other Monks so they had honey and jam etc. Yum.

Charlestonjoan said...

Oh Fudge!

Charlestonjoan said...

I was just talking about growing mushrooms the other day. I love mushrooms. It would be cool to grow your own.

Kate said...

Lives of monks fascinate me. Writer Kathleen Norris writes some interesting books about them, esp. the ones in Collegeville, MN...a place of great serenity.