08 January 2012

Fading Beauties

Camellia, Moncks Corner, S.C.
Camellias are a winter gift to the south. We are so used to living in a colorful garden that they keep us from suffering too much in the winter. These are white camellias that took a chill with the cold last week. Now it's warm again and the puddle of petals on the ground is as beautiful as the blossom. 

Here is a fun essay on Camellia names.

If the Bloom Is Off the Rose for You
Camellias, native to Asia, have become fixtures in the West ever since their introduction in the 1700s. Their leaves are dried to make traditional green or black tea, and many gardeners plant them for their showy winter blooms, which have a wide range of colors. Camellias thrive in temperate regions, but there are now also cold-hardy varieties that have expanded the growing range as far north as Canada.


There are countless species in the genus camellia, but these three species (or hybrids of them) are the most common:
JAPONICA The most common ornamental species, it has large showy blooms, like a cabbage rose or a peony. The flowers fall off like a wilted pompon when spent, rather than shedding their petals one at a time.
SASANQUA Another ornamental, but its blooms look more like an antique rose with fewer petals than C. japonica and a prominent yellow stamen. The petals fall to the ground singly.   SINENSIS Also known as the tea plant, this species is the source of traditional black, green, oolong and white teas. It is squat and has small, fragrant white flowers.  



6 comments:

Eleanor said...

I rather like the post cold snap color of the camellias. They are still quite beautiful.

LeeAnne said...

They are lovely, for true! I love that color. I was told a long time ago that the French consider faded flowers still beautiful until the last petal drops. So that's the excuse I use when I'm too lazy to throw out cut flowers that are past their prime.

Rachel said...

Oh, those are so beautiful, even in death! Your photos are wonderful! I do appreciate camellias so much since they bring beauty and color in the depths of winter. They give me hope of spring! - They changed our state flower in Alabama to the camellia, even though it isn't indigenous. I guess they felt that having the golden rod as our state flower was a slap in the face to all of the people who suffer from allergies because of it.

Kate said...

In full bloom or fading, they are beauties. Sort of reminds me of humankind, but since I'm in the flower of womanhood, I guess I don't have to worry about fading beauty!

Charlestonjoan said...

Eleanor - I do too! I like it when they are half brown and a carpet of petals on the ground.

LeeAnne - I do the same thing. Hate to throw out flowers.

Rachel - Thank you! I saw that it was the state flower when I was googling around. Also refreshed my memory that it is the tea family.

Kate - I think that too and hope that I am still good lookin' when I am half dead...heheh.

Marcheline said...

Lovely and sad and poetic and foreshadowing. I remember being young enough to agree with Kate, and now I am not. It happened in the blink of an eye.