20 August 2011

Before & After - Unitarian Cemetery



Unitarian Cemetery, Charleston, S.C.

I matched up another scene from the U.S. Geological Survey collection. I was tempted to ask a random tourist to stand in the same spot as the gentleman in the picture but they were dressed in such baggy, sloppy clothes that it didn't have the same effect.

This picture was easily recognizable as the Unitarian Cemetery. It is titled: Charleston, South Carolina, Earthquake August 31, 1886. Displaced monument in the cemetery of the Unitarian Church.

Thanks again to the Librarian commenter for leading me to these fantastic old photos. There is enough on the site to entertain me for awhile! I added another few blossom photos to my cemetery collection while I was there.

I am off to bed, kids. This is the summer of the kayak and if the skies are clear I intend to explore a bit of Lake Marion in the morning.


5 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

I love comparison shots like these.

Marcheline said...

Wow. It would be so creepy-cool if you could get a guy in a suit and bowler hat to stand in the same place... I love that you can see a tiny tree just behind him, and it turned into that lovely huge one dripping moss in the second shot! Old cemeteries RULE.

Unknown said...

Love the pictures Joan! I bet we can get one of the members to dress like that and stand in the same place. Thanks for some fantastic pictures of our church - and my new wallpaper. :)

Charlestonjoan said...

Gerald - Thank you! We have a good number of old photos and Charleston is well preserved.

Marcheline - I should!

Michael - Thank you. It is one of my favorite spot. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I love seeing then and now shots! And that guy in the first one makes it extra special. He could be in the second shot and we just can't see him. Fun!