09 May 2011

Keeping up appearances


Mills House Hotel, Meeting St., Charleston, S.C.

The photo of the beautiful Mills House hotel has nothing to do with my whining entry except that I simply want to move in and live there.

People asked all day if I had a good Mother's Day and I've been scowling and saying, "No". Grrrr.

Many of you know that I rent out the basement and upstairs back room in this old barn of mine. I'd love to sell my house and downsize to something smaller and manageable but that isn't going to happen for a while. Meanwhile, it's a great place to live, except that it is a very, very old house held together by a hundred and fifty years of paint layers, and I have to deal with tenants. I've been extraordinarily lucky with my tenants, but even though it's strictly forbidden, sometimes they leave. I must not be baking enough cookies.

Upstairs tenant left and was kind enough to recruit a replacement but after all these years I almost slip into a depression each time they turn over. I dread opening that door, cleaning another bathroom, wiping everything down, spackling nail holes, painting baseboards to freshen it up for the next occupant and that is what I did yesterday. Blah.

I finally called my handyman since the back door has been gradually settling in one direction while the house has settled in another. When he said, "Do you want me to finish sanding those walls and slap some paint on while I'm at it?" I almost hugged him in pathetic gratitude. I am too old for this.

Meanwhile, my son got back in town and took me out to Brett's Roadside Kitchen on James Island for dinner tonight. I just got back and I can hear my handyman humming while he works. Things are looking up.

9 comments:

Lowandslow said...

"I'd love to sell my house and downsize to something smaller and manageable but that isn't going to happen for a while."

I realize it's none of my business, but if there's any way possible, make it happen. K & I did 2 years ago and I can't tell you what a load off my mind it is to NOT have to keep a big place up.

In the meantime, keep that handyman's number handy. :)

S

Les said...

Way back in the day, the roof of the Mills House was a favorite late night destination after a night of libations on Market St. They have probably gotten that door fixed by now.

Charlestonjoan said...

Working in it Low. Things just ain't selling around these parts for these big old houses at the moment. It will all happen. I just have to be patient.

Les - :)) Sounds like happy days!

Waldo Lydecker's Journal said...

Your tenant tales remind me of Tales of the City, with you as Mrs Madrigal (but without all of her backstory, of course) where everyone can cultivate eccentricities. I'd love to be the upstairs- or downstairs- tenant working on the perfect shaker of martinis and a novel no one will ever publish. Keep up the stories and the door-leveling!

Downstairs said...

Waldo makes me feel as if I need to be more eccentric. If I start training sea lions or set up a basement moonshine still you can take it up with him. :)

Kate said...

A rant now and then is good for the soul. So glad that your son arrived to take you to dinner. We, too, want to downsize, altho our house is not large, but we're waiting for the market to improve...perhaps that's not wise either. Enjoy the weather and take some time to sit in those lovely new chairs of yours!!

Charlestonjoan said...

Waldo....I'll take one of those martinis!

Downstairs - YOU can never leave. I gave you carrot cake. ;)

Kate - Exactly - must sit in chairs.

Waldo Lydecker's Journal said...

Everyone gets to set his or her own Eccentric Thermometer...but we must have cocktail hour on a joggle board...

Jack said...

The Mills HOtel is gorgeous. I was in Charleston about a month ago and spent some time admiring this hotel.

Cookies for the tenants and a paycheck and hugs for the handyman . . . I think you have found your strategy.