19 April 2011

Hampton Park


Hampton Park, Charleston, S.C.

I've been in so many different situations during the course of this day that my head is still spinning. Yawn. I am hoping that I remember to get to work tomorrow before 7 a.m. for a Linen fundraising sale.

At the end of the day, my friend Terrie in marketing called asking me to come to Hampton Park to fill in a spot in a photo shoot replacing someone who couldn't show up at the last minute. Apparently my gray hair has become super handy portraying grandmotherly types. Photographer Mic Smith finished the shoot by posing us for a family scene with a young couple and their two adorable daughters that may well work for my Christmas card this year. Harhar. Wouldn't that surprise my kids?

Hampton Park holds many happy memories. My children played on roller blades and new bikes, we celebrated birthday parties and enjoyed family picnics there when they were young.

Named after Confederate General and former Governor Wade Hampton, the park has a fascinating history and at different periods has been a Union Cemetery, race course, the SC Inter-State and West Indian exposition of 1901 and a zoo. It went through a restoration in the 1980's and now has a lake that is a popular wedding spot, a gazebo, rose garden and beautiful live oak trees.

G'night kids. Someone turn the lights out.




6 comments:

Lowandslow said...

Looks like that lead duck has a little "soul" in his stroll. :)

S

Charlestonjoan said...

They were so cute marching in a row.

JanetLee said...

Did your children participate in the tradition of falling into the Hampton Park duck pond?

Charlestonjoan said...

JanetLee - I can't remember them falling in. They should have. It seems like we were up there after opening Christmas presents each year testing new bikes, skateboards and roller blades.

Marcheline said...

Joan - you rock the capri pants in a way we big-hipped women just can't do. Silver hair or no, you have a youthful figure and the heart of a child.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Marcheline - I suspect my face will pop up in print ads advertising breast exams or active seniors. Weird!