25 January 2011

Rain Walking


Norms, Calhoun St., Charleston, S.C.

Uhoh. I nodded off during the President's speech again. Me and speeches. Zzzzzz.

I reported at Ye Olde Crack of Dawn for a long day of leadership training at Trident Technical College this morning and did stay awake. I came home with three pages of doodles and a decorated Styrofoam cup. I have been doodling the same designs since high school. As soon as someone starts speaking I start scribbling. A psychiatrist once saw a page of my chicken scratches and asked if he could have it. Do you think it is framed on his wall as an example of some freaky condition?

I run around during breaks at these sessions and get all kinds of business done. We are such a huge health system - over five thousand now, that most of us never see each other and everything is done by email. Some things are so much easier to quickly agree on face to face. A worthwhile day even if my butt did get numb from sitting all day.

These two pictures will be familiar to anyone who went to college in Charleston. One is the college laundromat and the other a popular pizza/sub stop called Norm's.

G'night kids! There is a lot more to get done this week and I need to get to bed. Y'all stay warm and dry!

9 comments:

Waldo Lydecker's Journal said...

Same thing happened to me about halfway into the speech.

Doug said...

Even in the rain, we live in a magical and beautifully unique place. As for the speech, don't feel bad, I thought about listening to the podcast at 3am when I was an insomniac, since it put me to sleep the first time around. :)

Anonymous said...

I try not to fall asleep in speeches, and am likewise always doodling. The doodles have always provided a focus. A grounding, so to speak.

brattcat said...

You really convey the sound and sense of a town on a rainy day with these.

New Life said...

Ahh! I never have been to Norms...but I live a few blocks away on the corner of Commings & Vanderhorst....and had to drive my laundry-impaired roommate to the mat! I love these glimpses of Charleston...I can only hope to move back!

Jack said...

I didn't watch. There were some good basketball games on. I read all I need to know about the speech.

Marcheline said...

My entire life I've gotten in trouble for doodling. During classes, during staff meetings, and especially during those horrible "webinars" that are poorly run and usually have nothing to do with my job description. But I don't care. It's already been proven that doodling helps people concentrate better and have better retention. Force me to sit still in a chair listening to hours of monotonous drivel, and I'm gonna doodle. I've also been doing the same doodles since I was a kid, although depending on the length of the staff meeting I do branch out occasionally. 8-)

Charlestonjoan said...

Waldo - and then I woke up energized and was awake into the wee hours. Nothing like a Presidential Speech Nap.

Doug - We do live in a beautiful place. I never seem to run out of photo ops do I? :)

maggsworld - I used to be famous for sleeping and doodling in church. I'd draw cartoons of the preachers and could sleep sitting straight up.

brattcat - I just have to keep the camera dry! Tricky that.

Krystle - That is where I live - Vanderhorst & Coming!

Jack - I probably did too or at least will here snippets of it for days.

Marcheline - What is it that makes us draw the same little drawings over and over again? Weird we are :)

New Life said...

I meant to say used to live! That's crazy that we live/lived tha close to one another! I haven't lived in Charleston since 2007 I just visit constantly...though I am working on moving back...I just need a job and some funds!