10 October 2010

Bookzilla!


Gaillard Auditorium, Calhoun St., Charleston, S.C.

Today is the last day of the giant Friends of the Library Book sale at Gaillard Auditorium. When I was at the symphony on Friday night I spotted the Bookzilla sculpture so directed my walk this morning in that direction so I could get a shot before it was dismantled.

Bookzilla is a fundraising project that gives volunteers, businesses and the general public an opportunity to support Charleston Volunteers for Literacy's tutoring program for students in high need, local elementary schools.

Our goal is to raise $50,000 by collecting 10,000 books each supported by $5 in donations. Local artist Karl Beckwith Smith, will lead an attempt to set a new sculpture record by collecting and stacking over 10,000 books into a towering art sculpture.

I have complete faith in the Friends of the Library. This book sale is an incredible event each year. Congratulations to them!

The symphony event on Friday was wonderful. Thanks to my readers who spotted me and said hello! You made my weekend :)))

No comments: