23 August 2010

The Big, Black, Bewildering Bike Rack


Calhoun St., Charleston, S.C.

I'm just not getting it, kids. This is described as a modern bike rack built by Clemson students and a city design team. For a cost of $10,000 it houses 9 city employee's bikes and has a few open spaces for the public. It is supposed to be a museum quality piece.

I was standing there scratching my head when a gentleman came up and reminded me that the City Paper had written an article on it so here is the link. I've seen some pretty creative bike racks in my travels and we certainly need them in Charleston, but I'm not feeling the love for this one.

5 comments:

MrScribbler said...

Hate to say it, but a decent welding shop could whip up a perfectly serviceable bike rack in short order. Wouldn't be "art," but would probably set the city back $100 or so....

Charlestonjoan said...

MrScribbler - and what sense would that make, eh? :)

Nance said...

It's the biggest, blackest, most angular, most intrusive thing around and has no beauty in its own right. That makes it ugly in my book.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Nance!

Anonymous said...

Charleston Green is the color, not black