19 June 2010

Colonial Lake Walking


Colonial Lake, Charleston, S.C.

It's where I first started walking on a regular basis - round and round Colonial Lake. My mind would race ahead and I'd keep on marching forgetting how many times I had circled. I pounded the day into the pavement.
Colonial Lake: The park around the lake was developed in 1882-87. Fountains were placed in the lake in 1973, not for decorative purposes, but to aerate the water and prevent fish kills on hot summer days.

"Gala Week" used to be held in the fall of the year, with a fireworks display on the west side of the Pond, which was then an undeveloped area. Spectators filled to park and crowded onto boats in the lake.
Stockton, DYKYC, May 14, 1973. Rhett & Steele, 24-25. Whitelaw & Levkoff, 154-155.

Gala Week? Maybe we should bring back Gala Week at the lake.




3 comments:

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Fantastic photos of wonderful architecture and scenery.

Darryl and Ruth : )

Pamela said...

Gala Week? Wow! Never knew it existed. Thanks for the history! I can't imagine real boats in the lake!

Annie said...

My mother-in-law grew up on Smith Street and spent many days rowing a boat in Colonial Lake. She kept it there, too. I think there used to be little docks for rowboats. I have pictures of my husband as a little boy fishing from that little step-down on the east side.