14 March 2010

Weekend Field Trip


Mawlai, Shillong, India

Okay, okay, I admit this one isn't from my Charleston album.

I have received emails lately from folks who have landed on my blog because of the Indian connection. It has been delightful to hear from you! I don't run into many Khasis in Charleston.

I did grow up in Meghalaya - the home of the clouds, and this is my elementary school photo. If you look closely you can spot a few pale faces scattered in the group and my mum on the left. I am on the top row center and am one of eight siblings. My dad was headmaster of the elementary school in Mawlai.

It was a terrific place to grow up and certainly one of the most beautiful parts of the world. We played wild late night games with packs of kids, washed our clothes in the rivers and our hair in the waterfalls. We took picnics to the old British polo grounds, Shillong Peak and rowed the boats on Wards Lake. I don't remember wearing shoes regularly until we hiked in to Shillong to high school.

My brother Jim lives there still and has written a traveler's guide to the north east available from chillibreeze. On Saturday 3/12, Jim successfully helped coordinate the Guinness book of world records Cheraw Bamboo Dance in Mizoram.

This is the link to my sister Shirley singing a Khasi favorite: Sier Lapalang.

To any Khasi who comes by I say "Khublei!" and want to show you that there is a greeting for you inscribed in the streets of Charleston. Of course I have no idea who did it. ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories.Sally

Charlestonjoan said...

Sally - I've been getting some emails from Khasis - it's been great.

Lowell said...

What a delightful photo and commentary! You had some unusual opportunities at a young age and it sounds like you made good use of them!

Anonymous said...

I've seen your mother twice, but never in a Tamokhlieh as in this picture.This reminds me that you and your sisters wore the Jainsem during school fete,while most of the schoolgirls wore the latest(of the seventies)in pants and skirts.The respect for local culture was undoubtedly because of your parents.We hardly see or hear of such ideal persons,these days.I have seen your mother twice and the memory of herbkind and eversmiling face is still fresh in my memory.To some extent,now, you have got a bit of her smile and that kind look.It's good.At least one should resemble either parent and all the better if their ideals can be practised.I think you do,in your own way.

Charlestonjoan said...

My mum wore Tamokhlieh most of the time. We did until we went to high school. I have a few other pictures I can post. You may recognize someone. Most of my parent's pictures were slides which did not age or scan well.

How nice it is to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joan,for your response and your offer to post pictures of your mum.I've seen some in smugmug (got the link from your blog).Sorry, in my hurry I forgot to type my name (while going through your blogs,there were at least 3 powercuts,so i was in a hurry to post before preview).On the 24th,you may have got a mail from my yahoo account.I've sent one to Shirley,thanks again for your link.Are you accompanying her?I suggest that at least one Perry should visit Shillong each year,now that a brother has settled there.I have heard about him.During my next visit to Shillong,I'll try to contact him,just to say hello to the brother of the Perry sisters of St.Mary's,Shillong and if you are interested,I can post photos of SMHS taken some years earlier.NAMRATA

Kathie said...

1990's kid. Stumbled upon an old black and white of Golf link. And went on reading the comments.
Beautiful.


And it's 2017.
Vintage. ⚘