30 March 2010

Volunteer Photographer Needed


Youth Service Day, 2009, Charleston, S.C.

You've probably caught on to the fact that I often serve as event photographer for non profits in the lowcountry and one happy chaos day that I usually take pictures of is the annual Youth Service Day coordinated by my friend Sally Burnett at Trident United Way. She rallies a zillion kids of all ages and lines up service projects all over town. It is an amazing production and she pulls it off with flair.

This year, since it is during Volunteer Week, I have another event I am hosting and can't take care of them. Anyone else game? Youth Service Day is Saturday, April 24th. I usually start my day at North Charleston High School, take the pep rally and t shirt shots and then go around to as many sites as I can visit and take action shots of the kids at work. Most times they have a driver who knows where they are going.

If you would be interested in helping out it would be very much appreciated. It's fun and lets you snoop inside all kinds of places you would normally have no business in (right up my alley). Your pictures will be used in United Way publications through out the year and you will come away feeling darned good about kids today.

Contact Sally at: 211volunteer@tuw.org
Youth Service Day: Locally, more than 600 young people participate in Tricounty Youth Service Day in Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties in the South Carolina lowcountry.

Young people can be great assets and resources to their communities, providing unique perspectives and skills while becoming better students and more productive citizens.

TYSD is a great opportunity to recruit the next generation of volunteers, to educate the public about the year-round contributions of young people as community leaders, and to mobilize youth to identify, address and take ownership in the solutions to local needs through service.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will leave the freebies for you dude.

Charlestonjoan said...

I know, I know. However I am a Volunteer Director. I can handle a lot of them but can't be in two places at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Joan - if you don't get any takers here, you might want to mention this opportunity when you come to the 21st Century Photographers Group meeting this month (or have Chuck put out an e-mail for you), you will probably find some interest there. Kathy

Charlestonjoan said...

Will do Kathy. Thanks. Looking forward to meeting you.