24 January 2010

The Duchess at our Gala



Charleston Place Hotel, Charleston, S.C.

I think it is safe to say that the Duchess of York isn't used to being danced into dinner at Buckingham Palace by high energy gospel singers but she was last night in Charleston and she was a great sport!

I went to the Roper St. Francis Healthcare donor appreciation gala last night at Charleston Place Hotel. Sarah Ferguson filled in for the announced speaker Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN Medical Correspondent who sent a video message from Haiti.

Wow. We clean up pretty good for hospital folks and supporters. They open up all the ballrooms and the festivities practically take over the hotel. The evening had a lowcountry theme and was beautifully decorated. I definitely felt like I was playing with the big kids. The event recognizes donors to the Roper St. Francis Healthcare Foundation and with all the work I do with students I do contribute a smidgen out of every pay check towards nursing scholarships.

I took a lot of teasing because last year I was the guest of Fr. Terry who is not only a Vice President at our hospital but also a Catholic Priest. This year I told him I was going with my favorite Deacon Andre'. He announced that since I dumped a priest for a deacon, he got to sit with the Duchess. Heheh. I think we both got a good deal.

More photos here.








4 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Looks like a smashing success! What an elegant event! Funny that your "twin sister" wore the same, purple dress to the event! How did you get the Princess of York to show up?!?!! Check out my fancy event tomorrow, Monday, on my EAGAN daily photo blog
Cheers!

Les said...

What great fun to hob knob and fete. I am glad you had a good time.

Kristen said...

Looks like you had a great time! I always love seeing events at the Charleston Place since I work there and I know the work that goes into each of them.

LOVED The Dress!

Charlestonjoan said...

Kristen - It was lovely! That was a huge crowd to handle and everything flowed smoothly.