18 December 2009

Soggy Bottoms








Charleston, S.C.

Soggy everything! This is one of those days when I am simply happy to make it home. I check the tide chart and calculate my route carefully. Then, I can't resist wading out in the mucky soup with my little pocket camera. The tow trucks will be working overtime this evening.

This is mostly the Smith, Thomas, Duncan & Pitt St. area - nothing new. The usual flooded intersections. Funny, I had a gentleman working on my gutters yesterday. He had hoped for a few dry hours this morning to finish up. The bad news is that these were taken at low tide. I hate to think of the mess we will have this evening if the rain keeps up.

Time to see what I have in the house to eat. I think I'll be staying in this evening! Y'all be safe.

12 comments:

Susan said...

Holy cow, I will stop complaining about the cold.

Anonymous said...

DukeofManlets, sup bro, this is Projectxlol. U got feet pics?

Lowell said...

Uh oh! This can't be good. What a mess. And low tide, too!

Methinks you are smart to stay at home and inside! Hopefully, you live on higher ground!

Charlestonjoan said...

Wow. Police have asked people not to drive on the peninsula at all. Hwy 26 closed to downtown. I haven't felt the house actually float yet but am on the alert ;) I am very glad to be snug and dry in my home.

Shannon said...

Oh I stopped and talked to you today! I didn't realize I was a blog follower of yours! What a coincidence! I'm the one in the raincoat in that last picture. I talked to you about how I didn't know where to put my car... tooo funny! What a small world, thanks for the talk today! Love your blog!

chucker said...

The sad thing - to a homeowner - is this happens often.

Flood damage is serious to cars too yet certain parts of the city experience this over and over.

Joan, you were required to replace the roof...what next?

Good grief.

Charlestonjoan said...

Chucker - At least I don't flood! I am on the high end of the street. I call it Mt. Vanderhorst.

Shannon - That is the craziest coincidence! I hope you managed okay. What a mess. I was going to suggest you back up and park in my drive but it was even worse getting back out of there. meanwhile - great to meet you, neighbor!

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you for the pictures. Simply amazing. I've sent your site to relatives, all over the USA, who all have visited and love Charleston. David.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks David! We all love Charleston, don't we?

Judy said...

Just amazing. We all here in Arizona hope for rain but jeeze...not like that! Stay dry.

Toy Camera Play said...

Oh my Joan, I guess this is a part of Charleston we've not seen. Hope all is ok, you take care and hope you didn't sustain any damage. Back in Tampa now and already miss my favorite get-a-way. By the way, thanks so much for the mention a few posts back! Much appreciated. You and Tampa Daily Photo have been so kind.

Charlestonjoan said...

Jarart - It was pretty crazy.

Toy Camera Play - You just missed the big adventure! Sadly it happens pretty often.